Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Do we at least respect other religions? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Radioactive Jell-O

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:03 pm
Be honest now.

If you had a friend who was Christian,and his family had you over for dinner,would you pray with them?

Really.

My mom is Christian,so I have no choice,but if you had a choice,would you?

And in this situation,remember the 3rd Commandment:
Thou SHALT keep thy religion to thine self.

Or would you say "I'm aetheist"?

Though,that would probably put the table in an awkward position,if they don't already know you're aetheist.

Do you respect other religions?
Why or why not?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:06 pm
Yes, because they are people too.

And please spell atheist correctly. xp

HEHeverywhere

Radioactive Jell-O

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:09 pm
[Feminition.]
Yes, because they are people too.

And please spell atheist correctly. xp

I keep adding the "e" because my mom spells it wrong.

She doesn't know I'm atheist.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:46 pm
The dinosaurs are returning...

If I were to go to a friends house and they preyed then I would simply sit there, holding hands with them or folding my hands on the table (whatever they do) and simply leave my eyes open when they close theirs, and simply let your mind wander while they speak.

You don't have to agree with what they say, you only have to put on the show.

In the case that they ask you to start their prayer then it's up to you whether or not you want to tell them that you are an Atheist, or if you want to make something up.

...and they want their oil back.

[The Looney Bin]

Radioactive Jell-O

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:18 pm
[The Looney Bin]
The dinosaurs are returning...

If I were to go to a friends house and they preyed then I would simply sit there, holding hands with them or folding my hands on the table (whatever they do) and simply leave my eyes open when they close theirs, and simply let your mind wander while they speak.

You don't have to agree with what they say, you only have to put on the show.

In the case that they ask you to start their prayer then it's up to you whether or not you want to tell them that you are an Atheist, or if you want to make something up.

...and they want their oil back.

True.
So,very true.

In my opinion,I would do the same thing.

Some christians are crazy though.
Like "if you don't pray then get out" crazy.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:58 pm
Last summer, I attended the very beautiful and very Catholic wedding of my step-cousin and her fiancee. Whenever prayer was necessary, I bowed my head, and was reverent.

The way I see it is this. If I go to Japan and meet the Emperor, I don't refuse to bow because it's not part of my culture. I do it out of common courtesy. It's the same way with this. When in Rome...

The priest was cool, too. He tossed in a good joke.  

ProjectOmicron88

Radioactive Jell-O

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:13 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Last summer, I attended the very beautiful and very Catholic wedding of my step-cousin and her fiancee. Whenever prayer was necessary, I bowed my head, and was reverent.

The way I see it is this. If I go to Japan and meet the Emperor, I don't refuse to bow because it's not part of my culture. I do it out of common courtesy. It's the same way with this. When in Rome...

The priest was cool, too. He tossed in a good joke.

True-er.
*gasps because he's getting some response*  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:38 pm
What do you do if they want YOU to pray?  

x Kanetsugu Naoe x

Kiyrugoji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:01 am
"Dear God, I pray for love, understanding, and peace... by the way, everybody, I'm an atheist."  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:15 pm
Holland_sof
What do you do if they want YOU to pray?

Well, it's pretty easy to just bow your head and be silent.  

ProjectOmicron88

Missle59

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Yes, but try not to fall asleep. That might be a bit embarrassing.

As for me if it was a friend I would just wait it out. If I don't say anything they don't know if i'm praying with them or not.

Also there is a big difference between the emperor and god. The emperor exists. Showing respect to a cultural icon is not the same as showing respect to the flying spaghetti monster.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:16 pm
Well, My mom doesn't know I'm atheist either, so when she prays, I sometimes ACT like I pray. Respect other people's beliefs, but respect your own as well.

Aaron Lee Morrison

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:53 pm
Respect this, respect that... act it out... go with the flow... well, i say ******** THAT!

Primarily because you guys are being ridiculous. You're talking about respecting THEM, and their beliefs... but what about THEM respecting YOURS? What about YOU respecting your beliefs?

If they can't deal with you being an atheist... well, tough s**t. We (as humans) were never meant to please everybody and avoid conflict at every chance we get. It is smart, however, to avoid it if you're dating the daughter of a crazy christian with an eager trigger-happy finger and a shotgun. It may be smart to avoid conflict, again, if you happen to be in the middle of a christian rally that is demanding atheists be burned and/or kicked out of their neighborhood, state, or country.

Other than that... i'd say grow a pair of atheist balls or ovaries before you declare yourself one. Because if you're only gonna do it on the "intrawebs" where you dont' hurt nobody's feelings. Then... (like those GDers say) Get the ******** outta here!* evil

You don't even have to go to church to celebrate anyone's wedding, but if you're selfinflicting yourself on some prayer situations... well, then it's really your decision. But why be a hypocrite when you can just pass on the church celebration and just show up at the party/reception whatever it's called and maybe even make a toast to your friend getting married, to make up for the fact you missed the church thing.

And for you missle... i thank you for making me see what was something wrong with that argument... i knew there was "something" that i was missing, i just couldn't figure it out like you did.

And this prayer is freaking excellent. I was laughing for a good 2 mins. Props to you Kiyrugoji.

Quote:
"Dear God, I pray for love, understanding, and peace... by the way, everybody, I'm an atheist."

Oh, and back to the original topic... i wouldn't say anything, but i wouldn't bow my head or close my eyes, or hold hands with noone. If someone were to ask why i wouldn't... THEN i'd say i'm an atheist. why not?

* i did not mean out of the guild... i'm just pointing out my frustration with that silly phrase.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:04 pm
Anon: You need a better outlet for your frustrations than the way in which you reflect your beliefs.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Covered-Up Boxers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:11 pm
I agree with AnonymouZ, but I don't want to be know as 'the atheist who ruined dinner'. I'm respectful, but I make comfort zone clear. :B  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff