EIRD ANIMAL FACTS/ABOUT ANIMALS) The animal kingdom is full of wonder and amazement. There is so much we still don’t know about the world we live in and the different animals that inhabit it.
For instance, did you know that a wolf can eat up to 20lbs of meat in just one sitting? That’s a whole lot of meat. Here’s a list of 25 of the most outrageous, disturbing, and adorable animal facts—from cats, penguins, and dolphins to tigers, ostriches, and pandas.
1. The feathery flightless ostrich’s muscular legs are powerful enough to kill man and lion alike.
2. Seahorses are monogamous and mate for life.
3. Most elephants weigh less than the tongue of a blue whale.
4. All clownfish are born male, and will only change sex to become a dominant female.
5. Honeybees have tiny hairs on their eyes to help them collect pollen.
6. A desert locust swarm can be 460 square miles in size and can consume 423 million pounds of plants in a single day.
7. An adult panda can spend up to 12 hours a day eating, and in order to fulfill their dietary needs, they need to eat at least 28 pounds of bamboo.
8. All polar bears are left-handed, or rather, left-pawed.
9. Baby giraffes can stand within half an hour of birth.
10. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.
11. Sea otters like to hold each other’s paws when sleeping so they don’t drift apart.
12. Rats laugh when they are tickled and during playtime
13. Just like zebras, no two tigers have the exact same stripes.
14. When anacondas mate, several competing males can form a ball around a female in a ritual that can last up to a month.
15. Dolphins sleep with one half of the brain at a time, and with one eye closed.
16. Butterflies taste with their feet.
17. Alligators have been around for 150 million years.
18. Gentoo penguins use a pebble to propose to their girlfriends.
19. The name “jaguar” comes from a Native American word meaning “he who kills with one leap”.
20. Named for its miraculous abilities, the Amazon’s ‘Jesus Christ lizard’ can run over water.
21. Cows have very complex friendships, and when they are isolated from their companions, they experience separation anxiety.
22. Galapagos tortoises sleep for 16 hours a day and can go a year without food or water.
23. Anteaters eat 35,000 ants a day.
24. A cat’s nose pad is as unique as a human fingerprint, so no two feline noseprints are ever alike.
25. Once a giant clam picks a spot to live on a reef, it does not move for the rest of its life.